Friday, November 19, 2010

Impressions Day One 1.4 oRvR

After what seemed like forever 1.4 has finally arrived! It was a very interesting and very confusing night last night as Gorfang struggled to figure out this new system. I only got about 4 hours play in but there was quite a few WTFs coming from my warband.

When I first logged in Altdorf was under siege. My guildmates told me it was the third time that day so far. After the zone reset I jumped in our guild warband and headed to Caledor. After we had capped that in what seemed like record time we headed to Chaos Wastes and capped that in no time at all. Then we were back in a city. I have to say I was a little disappointed as I was looking forward to more time with the oRvR changes but I snagged a RR98 weapon. Only 60 more RR before I can use it!

Couple things I noticed:

No one had much of an idea of what to do. Being the guild blogger and in the know I tried to explain it but I can only answer so many questions. A few guildmates logged after getting frustrated but the majority just tried to figure out the new rules. I also couldn't explain to Destro what to do and they seemed to be having as much of a problem.

Old habits die hard. Everyone seemed to stick to the zerg mentality. When we were taking CW destro stuck in the north in one big zerg. Then they headed into the keep to defend. Left on their own our resources runners did a fine job of collecting more than theirs and we ended up with a nicely upgraded keep. It felt like there was zero resistance because they all just stuck in their keep waiting.

Skaven. Very neat. Being only RR37 means I can't do too much without exploding. I got a chance to run around as a packmaster and it was nice. I followed a Rat Ogre around, buffed him, healed him, and summoned the odd rat horde. Had a chance to apply that 95% snare a couple times and watch the poor desto crawl helplessly while getting FF'd into a paste. Very good way to get the lowbies into the action and make a difference. Plus I loved seeing the deluge of red dots pouring into the keep when we started the siege.

Tier 3 was more fun. After my IC run I headed to Highpass with a r/l friend to get a better idea of the system. There was maybe 8 Order to 6 Destro. It was nice that we actually took the zone with so few people. Lots of small little battles around the BOs and out front of the keeps. While it was almost deserted it was lots of fun getting into little 3v3s at various times. I had not consider that the new system would allow for oRvR in lower Tiers without the need of having a WB just to take the Keep Lord.

People QQ too much. Advice channel was filled with complaints about just about everything. To be expected but come on, its day one.

Overall it was a lot of fun. The next few days will be interesting as everyone gets accustomed to the new system and figure out ways to play in it and exploit it. Already I've heard some people are just sticking to killing carriers for the RP. While it seems the reward would be less it would be the same as choosing RvE over actual PvP in a high AAO zone.

1 comment: